Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: 80 year old woman runs half-marathon in 2:13:23 to set new American record

Friday, February 13, 2015

80 year old woman runs half-marathon in 2:13:23 to set new American record

Here's a story for anyone who thinks the half-marathon distance is too far or running under 2:15 for a half is too fast.



At the start of February, an 80 year old American woman named Anne Garrett ran the Surf City Half-Marathon in California in a time of 2h 13m 23s. That was an American record for the 80-84 year old age group.

Having grown up as a child in Northern Ireland, she had no interest in running until she started at the age of 72. In a recent interview, she said......"I never even thought of running because nobody in my family or nobody that I knew, really, did any running. It has opened up a whole new way of life for me. I just don’t feel my age, to be quite honest with you. Sometimes when I run, my legs feel my age but my mind doesn’t.”

No comments: