Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Winner of Cambridge Half-Marathon disqualified for using someone elses number

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Winner of Cambridge Half-Marathon disqualified for using someone elses number


The winner of Cambridge half-marathon last weekend was disqualified when it turned out he was running with someone else's race number.

Jack Gray, pictured above third from left, ran the race using the race bib belonging to 'Andrew Rawlings' who happened to be his boss at work who had picked up a hamstring injury. Rather than letting the entry go to waste as they thought, it was given to Jack Gray and off he went. The only problem though was that Jack ran a little bit too fast and won the race!

In a post race interview, Jack Gray said.... "My boss called on Thursday to ask if I wanted to take his place as he was injured, and I thought 'why not? I thought it would be a shame for the place to go to waste and I made a donation to charity as I was now going to take part."

After winning the race, he heard the name "Andrew Rawlings" being called out over the PA system.

"It dawned on me I might have a bit of explaining to do," he said. "People were lining up to interview me, so I thought I'd better 'fess up straight away, and told the organisers I wasn't Andrew."

After Jack Gray was disqualified, Sheffield student William Mycroft, who came second, was declared the winner.

More than 7,000 runners took part in the event.

Full story... http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-43289854

No comments: