Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Former winner Neil Cusack plans to run 2014 Boston Marathon ...

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Former winner Neil Cusack plans to run 2014 Boston Marathon ...

Neil Cusack, the only Irish man to win the Boston Marathon has announced that he plans to run the 2014 race as a gesture "to those who died and were injured, their families, and all the great people of Boston".

The 61 year old Limerick man won the Boston Marathon back in 1974 in a time of 2:13:39, the only Irish man to win the race. 2014 would also be the 40th anniversary of his win.

In an interview, he said....."I'd make a prediction that next year's event will be absolutely unblieveable, and I'm glad I'm going to be back there, because they'll want to show a total good feeling about the event, and the Americans will be behind it 1000%. I think it would be an idea for other champions to do as well. Imagine 10 or 12 of us, running together, and just get through it, together - it'd be a nice gesture. I am in good shape and go for a run every weekend. The Boston Marathon is a national treasure and I was devastated to see the horrific scenes on the TV. I remember the day of my win like yesterday — I was attending the University of East Tennessee. When I got to Boston I took a shamrock emblem from an old vest and put it onto the one I was wearing in the race to show I was Irish. I was cheered all the way along the route. What a day. They are a great people and a great city. To run next year would be a gesture to show how all our thoughts are with them. I think there will be a massive surge of support for the city when the race is held in 2014 and I plan to be there at the start with all the other athletes. Boston has given so much to me and I want to give something back.”

Neil Cusack represented Ireland in the 1972 Munich and 1976 Montreal Olympics. He also won the Dublin marathon in 1981.

Neil Cusack winning the 1974 Boston Marathon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No disrespect to Neil Cusack on his fine performance in winning the 1974 event. But was not the winner in 1903 - John C Lordan (Lorden) Irish. Born near Bandon, Co Cork.

Anonymous said...

John Treacy set the Irish marathon record in Boston in 1988 running a cracking race coming 3rd

Anonymous said...

Lorden was born in Cork but became a naturalized American in 1898. So whether he should be considered an Irish runner at the time is a matter of interpretation.